Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Attire? Costume? Or something else...

I dress rather boringly. I'm in a professional position and I work with children. Add to this that I no longer feel the need to see how many people I can freak out with magnetic jewelry and eyeliner art on my face (although--really--that was fun) and there you have it--dreadfully dull the majority of the time.

So neutral slacks and a colorful but reserved top are kind of par for the course when dressing. Today it's ice cubic in the building so I'm in a relatively heavy sweater that I'd not planned on dragging out for another month.

And then there's one of my regulars. Nice guy though I don't really interact with him often. Late teens/early twenties. Computer functional although literacy beyond social networking is questionable. A couple of inches taller than I am, he's slim but not scrawny, and has neat cornrows that stick out at the bottom a couple of inches.

He's wearing jeans that are an undefined number of sizes too big that swim around his legs--making him look lost inside. The bottoms of said jeans are hoisted up (probably with rubber bands--I haven't asked and getting close enough to look wouldn't be discreet) to look like they are elasticized. I can see almost all of his pristine white socks (adorning what now look like the scrawniest ankles ever) and have a lovely view of relatively normal black sneakers. It reminds me of the "court wear" they put on the guys for Three Musketeers--only those were satin puffy pants and the guys were in period dress. (Kind of like this--but the pants were a little longer--less calf, more ankle)

The rest of his person is dwarfed under a white button down that looks like it almost fits and a dark XXXX-L jacket that pretty much swallows him whole and hangs off his shoulders like a really dumpy cape.

While I'm sure there's meaning behind all of it, or perhaps emulation of a rap artist that I'm unaware of...he looks like a marshmallow on two toothpicks.

No comments: