Wednesday, April 30, 2008

101 in 1001

I may be coming a little late to the boat on this, but I recently stumbled across 101 in 1001.

The concept is to make a list of 101 things that you will do in 1001 days. You can choose your own tasks so they can be as outlandish or minute as you'd like. The tasks should help you grow and be clearly defined. Although it was supposed to start January 1, 2008, I think it could be a useful project to start anytime--as long as you're goal focused and make yourself work on your tasks.

I thought it was an interesting idea and so I started making a list. As you can imagine, there is some knitting to be done on that list--various things that I've never done before. (Socks, anyone?) And usually, I'm a decent list maker. I'm always stumbling across old grocery lists (forgotten when I went to the store), to do lists (at least one item didn't get done and now no longer matters), and there's the ever updated Amazon wish list. But here, I've run into a stumbling block.

I'm not sure I can think of 101 things I'd like to do in the next 3 years which I consider to help me grow. I know they don't have to be huge things but here's me...staring at a spreadsheet, a little over a third of the necessary entries written down, wondering...hmmm, now what?

I'm a little disappointed in myself; I thought I had more goals and creativity going than that. I'm not sure if I'm missing a lot of things that are on my mental to do list or if I'm trying to make the goals too huge or what...

So far I have
1) Writing goals (Write a, send a proposal for...)
2) Knitting goals (Knit socks and something with gauge for AudioGirl)
3) Cleaning goals (go through and get rid of...)
4) Organizational goals (Books, pictures, yarn)
5) Educational goals (take a class in)

And I have a wopping 36.

I could include completely outrageous things: become the next pop star, grow another three inches, --but I really have no aspirations to be the next Hollywood poptart and I think my body has pretty much finished in the vertical growing portion of life.

So, I'm going to really try to think about this one this week and revisit next week--and see if I've managed to get the creative juices going.

Is anyone else participating in this?

No comments: