Saturday, February 16, 2008

An OpenID: You May Already Have One

A comment on an earlier blog post--made by the venerable Raccoon--reminded me that I needed to get an OpenID.

An OpenID is a single log in that I can use anywhere that accepts it (growing number of sites available here) so that I might hopefully have a few less pin numbers and passwords running around my head or scribbled on a scrap of paper that will invariably get lost. Of Zen and Computing has a very clear, non-technical explanation if you'd like more detail.

R's comment wasn't about OpenID in particular--but Blogger accepts OpenID for comments--so she was able to use an alternative log in from a site where she was already registered. She did this without even having consciously signed up for an OpenID. Blogger then used the OpenID icon by her name in the comments section. Blogger updated this week with small icons next to the comments that allow you to see all of the log in options it will allow-- AOL and LiveJournal are just two.

I chose to use one of my Yahoo! logins for my OpenID. It struck me today that with the pending hostile merger with Microsoft this might not have been my most brilliant idea ever but I can probably change it at some point in the future if desperately needed. I've not been OpenID'ing all over the intertubes just yet. Yahoo! signed on this project in January, giving it much exposure and a boost that it needed. I was pleased because I know my Yahoo! ID when I'm semi-lucid as well as when I'm as hyper as I was on Valentine's Day chocolate. The best part though was that I wasn't going to have to register myself at yet another website. It was very easy--I went here and spent about 2 minutes confirming the registration and looking at the tutorials.

Something to check out. The people I have heard from who have signed up for it say they are pleased to be going around the net and seeing new places where the OpenID icon appears and knowing they don't have to fill out yet another log in. I'm looking forward to it! If you have experience with it--please share.

No comments: