Friday, March 21, 2008

One More Year Down--the Rest of My Life to Go

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."- Benjamin Franklin

It's a depressing quote but at least TurboTax makes life a little easier when it comes to tax time. After approximately three hours of number crunching, I've printed everything, signed where I'm supposed to, and written checks to the appropriate treasuries.

If you've never done freelance work and are considering it be forewarned: self-employment tax can easily catch you by surprise with large amounts due. If you stay on top of your quarterly payments, it's a little less painful. This was actually my second run through the taxes, I compiled the papers and numbers once in February to see how it would shake down. Today was the real deal and I got the same numbers. So I've either made the same errors twice or I did it right. If it's the former, I'm sure they'll let me know.

Either way I just need to print postage and tracking for one envelope and hopefully that will be it until second quarter taxes are due. Yippee!

No comments: