Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years....


Apparently the first draft of this post got eaten, so if it shows up twice, I apologize.

It has been seven years today since I, with classmates, huddled around televisions wondering what exactly had just happened. I'm still not sure I have the answers, though the memories of those days are some of the most vivid from my undergraduate experience.

A year later, my choir and I, with thousands of others, would gather together to sing Mozart's Requiem. We'd performed it in spring of 2001 for our semester concert, which eased our preparations fifteen months later. That day we each wore the name of someone who killed in the attacks--mine was the name of a firefighter who was the cousin of a close friend of mine.

For Lee, and the many other victims:

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis

No comments: