Saturday, March 31, 2007

Week 1

I have officially survived my first week at my new job. It was exhausting and I know way too many children by name already, but I made it through to Friday.

It's very different from what I anticipated or am remotely used to seeing, which makes for quite a steep learning curve. Even the Human Resources Department was completely different from the corporate one that I most recently dealt with. I'm trying to restrain myself from too many details, mostly because they'll come back to haunt me in the future.

It hasn't been an easy week. I'm very much naturally nocturnal and I have to get up at 6:30 a.m. now. I really enjoy public transportation and I'm driving to/from my job over an hour each way (I should have known something was up at the interview when they panicked over whether or not I did own a car...). I'm in an area of town totally foreign to me and I've had at least one adult resident recommend my caution of being in that area. It's going to be tough.

The library does have it's regulars though, quite a few of whom I already know by name. This is useful when needing information on other patrons or when a group of them is misbehaving--I can call out names and through them get the group to settle down. It appears to be a safe place where they can entertain themselves (kind of) and argue over who gets to get on the computers next and play the latest game.

I'm too exhausted to do much of anything when I get home--even talk to my long suffering boyfriend--but the occasional midday and early evening calls to my support network are hopefully going to get me through. Now I just have to figure out how to get through Spring Break next week.....

No comments: