Sunday, May 13, 2007

That Special Furball in My Life

As is relatively typical for a day that I don't have to crawl out of bed to the tune of the alarm clock-- I slept in, with the cat. If it's even slightly brisk out she cries until I'm semi lucid and then hops up on the bed and burrows under the covers. Most recently she's taken to spooning, she as the inner spoon, and using my shoulder as a pillow.

It's lovely having a pet again--even if she is technically my roommate's. Granted, a few friends who are allergic either cannot stay long in my home or must either take allergy medication before visiting but other than that---fabulous.

Dinah's a neurotic, squirrel chasing, escape focused mutt. Roomie rescued her from The Anti-Cruelty Shelter and I'd recommend going there if you need a new love in your life. Our furball is a medium-haired calico who looks slightly raccoon, slightly Persian, and mostly flirt. She's definitely gotten through life on her cuteness (certainly not her brain--she keeps trying to chase her tail while perched on the top rail of the shower doors...).

She's attention needy, noisy, she sheds all the time, steals chairs and any small object and mews piteously every time we have to clip her toenails (it takes both of us). The attention we get in return is absolutely worth it. Dinah will crawl up in my lap and lick my face when I'm sad, meet me at the door when I get home, and is always up for a game of chase the cat toy. She hides in my clean laundry, hops into open drawers and tries to get under the sink.

I'd love to get her a playmate but am not sure on the timing. It's always hard to find a place that will allow you to have a pet--though many renters have pets anyway. I'd love to get a Siamese again, though if I do I'll probably look here before I go to a breeder.

Song I'm listening to right now: Forever by Papa Roach

No comments: