Friday, July 20, 2007

Waiting in line...to talk about yarn

So, those of you who don't already know, I have this minor addiction to yarn. If this doesn't make any sense to you--please, skip this post and I'll return to more librarian style stuff soon.

It's minor, really, just involving two large shopping bags in the past month and some surreptitious sneaking of rust colored yarn that my roommate was NOT to know about until the scarf is done for the-boy-who-just-got-engaged's fiance. (Fiance not fiancee--and we won't go into the weirdness at the yarn store when that came up) [Of course, Roomie found out but since I was already working on the scarf it was okay.]

I'm waiting patiently at present though to join a new online knitting social network: Ravelry. The site is currently in Beta. Just slightly similar to LibraryThing, it allows you to catalog your stash (reserve of yarn that is currently inhabiting a large chest in my living room and a couple of plastic tubs in my room...you get the idea), show off finished projects, show off what you're working on currently, find new patterns, find new yarns.

Ravelry has exploded in popularity amongst the online knitting community, thanks in at least some small part to bloggers like fyberduck and The Yarn Harlot. It's become some popular that they couldn't allow everyone in at once who wanted to participate and so put us all on a list and are doling out invitations by a computer. Then they got swamped with people wanting to know where they are on the list. So they created a page that just allows you to find out where you are in line. See here. I think it's brilliant (and a great marketing strategy for them)! I've dragged other knitters and crocheters I know onto the line. I check my status all the time. Currently I'm

  • You signed up on June 5, 2007
  • You are #6957 on the list.
  • 857 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 11939 people are behind you in line.
  • 31% of the list has been invited so far
That is 100 people closer than I was yesterday! They're adding a good 300-500 a week (amazing fast I think) so in another two weeks perhaps. Soooo excited.

Okay, back to being a librarian.

No comments: