Saturday, June 02, 2007

Finally it's True: Google and Feedburner

Based on which blog I was reading this week it was true/then not/then true/then not--that Google was rumored to be buying Feedburner. Finally--according to Feedburner's site today it does appear to be an official acquisition.

I'm not really sure how it will change things. I use Blogger--attached to my Gmail/Google account. I also use Feedburner, which i now imagine will be showing up in my list of "more things" that I can do with said account. Considering how huge Blogger is, this acquisition doesn't really surprise me.

The FAQs on this merger is a delightful page of double-talk. Nothing is being admitted yet except that a sale has occurred and Google wants to use feeds for advertising. How they're planning on getting advertising into an RSS feed--I'm not 100% clear but I'm sure they'll find a way.

Then there's that nagging little note of Google trying to purchase DoubleClick. The argument is that it would create a monopoly and go against the anti-trust deal. Personally, I think Google just wants the tenth floor of the Port Authority building on 8th and 14th in Manhattan--which is currently DC's home. Google already have a huge chunk of four/five other floors in that building for their office.

But that's just my opinion.

No comments: