Saturday, June 09, 2007

Pronunciation of the Place I Work

I am consistently amazed by the unflagging ability of many people to mispronounce the general title of the building that I work in. The first "r" in the word is completely skipped---OFTEN. By coworkers, patrons, random people, it's universal. These are the same people who can unfailingly manage to handle personal names from a multitude of ethnicities. And unfortunately, they don't seem to understand what I'm correcting when I say the word back to them with the actual pronunciation.

My sister recommended that I invest in this shirt. Perhaps it will be a more subtle but effective cue? Some people wouldn't notice if I had it posted on the side of a Mac truck.

I also think this t-shirt (on being full of useless bits of information) describes my rather fractured little brain too well. I mean, does anyone else really care that the longest word typed entirely with the left hand is stewardess or that Shakespeare created the word "Majesty" (among others)? What's a useless fact you know?

No comments: