Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Blocking Cell Phone Spam

I don't know why I didn't anticipate it as the next thing coming but, as I noted yesterday, idiots online were texting me spam. I'm not really sure what the point was. I suppose it assume web browser capability (not on my phone) and that I'll be SO fascinated by the content I'll log on and buy a certain blue pill. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Instead, it sent me to Verizon--whose online & phone customer service rocks. I've always gotten prompt assistance and easy rectification of problems with them. My favorite is that they text me when I'm about to exceed my minutes and offer to tweak my plan so I don't go into severe overages. Considering how much M and I talk some months on top of my various meetings-- this is very needed. Caveat--the store customer service is a little questionable--it varies greatly by store.

But anyway, back to the subject at hand. I had an email in my inbox when I got up this morning that explained a free service Verizon provides where I could block unwanted text messages. There are three options

1) Block everything coming from the web (including websites that allow you to text people)
2) Block everything from an email address
3) Block specific domains or specific email addresses (max 15)

Each text that I've received thus far (8 or 9 now) has been from a unique email address and domain--so while I would have preferred option 3--I've gone with option 2 for now. You can still find various sites to send me web based texts from but at least I won't be getting spammed.

I'm glad someone was on top of this so I could weed that out. How long do we think it will be before we have an Inbox, Mailing Lists, and a Junk Box for our text messages? Personally--I don't think it will be long.

No comments: