Sunday, January 27, 2008

Something for a 15 Year Old Boy to Read....

That was my goal to find. Does he like fantasy? Not really--but he did read all of the Harry Potter books. He likes series...

On the basis of that, I was off to the teen section to recommend a few series.

What did I choose?

Stravaganza: City of Masks (Mary Hoffman)

There are three books in Hoffman's Stravanganza series--which involves time travel from the modern world to fictional versions of historical worlds. I've not made it through the entire series but the City of Masks sees a teen with brain cancer warping into an alternative Venice. There he's healthy but up against a lot of challenges--trying to fit into an alternative world riddled with power struggles and other mischief.

Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan (John Flanagan)

Flanagan's up to four books thus far in the series. I keep meaning to get back to them--the first one was SO good. I'll need Flanagan's narrator Keating though, I think, to keep me going. See my full review here. A young man is apprenticed at 15 to the kingdom's spy--despite his desire to be a warrior. Seeing him discover himself--and watching a brawny friend simultaneously struggle through the warrior training provides for a fast moving and engaging story.

Bartimaeus Triology: Amulet of Samarkand (Jonathan Stroud)

Now, how have I not done a review on this one? Hmmm....(digging through posts) Anywho-- this was another audiobook delight during the many hours of back and forth from Lakeview to Auburn-Gresham. Simon Jones does an excellent narration of a story--told from the perspective of a frustrated but all knowing djinni with a wicked sense of humor. It follows an apprenticed magician in an England/alternative history where magicians controls the government. Stroud makes it a believe stretch of the imagination.

And I couldn't remember it but I also wanted to send The Book of Mordred (Vivian Vande Velde) because she'd mentioned that he was interested in King Arthur. Put it on the list for next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick Hornby's newest, Slam, has been marketed as a teen dude book, but I don't know that most 15 year old guys want to read about getting their girlfriend pregnant. It's still really good, though. --rochelle

Abigail said...

With the popularity of Juno and JLS's recently announced pregnancy--it might be more popular than we think...

Certainly it's timely!
Thanks :)